View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 06:18 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by yawdamp View Post
I share my experience at LBQ with those I currently work with in the 121 world and they all cringe. It is - bar none - THE toughest/most challenging flying you'll experience.

Now THAT is a BOLD statement - and without even a hint of a disclaimer or experience in many different types of flying that others may have experienced.

The work schedules and equipment are better these days. The maintenance is very good - all issues are fixed. Yet many cannot handle Part 91 single pilot ops, into uncontrolled fields, in the middle of the night, weather on its @$$, shooting nonprecision approaches over and over again (when I was there 6 to 11 approaches per night). Great place to build experience yet it is high risk - caused me to look for a new job. The cowboy days are over - they have 24 hour dispatch to help - if you need an alternate you can go to your alternate. Very good pay and benefits. This job will make you old quick. This is night freight flying.
Night freight flying is certainly one of the most challenging types of flying and I'd guess that not many would argue that. Much of what you say in the post above is echoed by those I work with who have spent time in that environment.