View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 06:38 AM
Herkflyr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Left seat of a little plane

Originally Posted by Sink r8 View Post
Good point, but the only consideration in getting multiple WS (in seniority order) is being legal and available. You can't do 2 GS unless everyone that wanted a first, and is legal and available, has had their first.

In addition, using the loophole of the SB/SWF, junior guys have been able to work with their friends to maximize their schedule. You can't ride someone else's seniority for a GS.

Furthermore, SWP is broken, because of SB/SWF, and because we process WS before SWP. A senior guy can't easily improve his schedule without resorting to the gamble of dropping a trip, to WS back his own trip or better. Unless he's unlucky, and people even more senior pick up his rotation AND his target rotation, which they may or may not give to a friend.

In theory, you're absolutely correct about WS being in seniority order, but in reality, the flying that's moving around as a result of the WS process is not necessarily respecting seniority. Let's face it: there are guys getting around seniority by bidding socially with their buddies, and are steering more of the flying their way. Now they want special rewards for it.

So you are saying that junior guys have friends but senior guys don't? I think you are making something out of nothing here. We fixed the issue with "trip parking" awhile back. As it is I find the Swapboard to be an extremely useful tool. I have both picked up and dropped trips via the swapboard, but I would guess I have dropped twice as many as I have picked up. That has made my life at home a lot easier. I would hate to even consider not having the swapboard.

Then again I have flown with guys who have never swapped, dropped, traded, in their entire career--they just get their awarded line (line of time or PBS, it doesn't really matter) and fly it.

And you know what? That is great. It works for them. I just don't want them to mandate that that is the only option for me.