View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 09:22 AM
NoSidNoStar
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Originally Posted by RI830 View Post
NoSid,

How exactly are you coming up with these astronomical salary/renumeration numbers for 121 guys. I know of a few WN guys who work the system to make flying and max pay. FedEx guys make huge per hour, but how exactly are you getting these numbers up that high? A and B funds are gone, pensions are gone and 401K contributions are simply matches on what you put in.

As for the ex-121 guys getting these glorious jobs, I think that betting on a 777 retiree being able to handle corporate life is like betting on red/black at the roulette table. Some can succeed and others can't hack all the extra work.
I was going to answer you, but I see somebody already proved my point. As far as the 777 retiree, he would have so much money by then, that he will not care if he does succeeds or not in the corporate transition.
There are perks in 121 that we don't even understand in corporate.
They can sell their personal time off back to the company for premium pay, that does not mean they don't have days off, just the extra time off (either vacation or PTO) they accumulate each month, on top of the days off. That alone plus 401K contributions, not match, amount to about 30% extra.
Your friend at WN can drop trips, and pick up other trips in days off, getting paid OT, effectively giving himself a bonus and still working the same time.
The list goes on and on.
We have perks that they don't have, all my trips are small vacations.
QOL is a personal choice, subjective in nature, not matter to argue.
But for quantifiable economic gains, we don't stand even close.
At least the most of us. Again, 50% of the airline pilots are Captains. Each Captain makes equal or more than a corporate Chief Pilot.
But only a very small percentage of corporate pilots will hold a Management position sometimes during their career.
Our perks kept me in this side all this time, but I am ready to jump.
I will miss the fancy layovers; but I will enjoy my time off (really off, no phone, not available, no thank you, no!)

Last edited by NoSidNoStar; 08-14-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Spelling error