View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 02:54 PM
NoSidNoStar
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Originally Posted by biigD View Post
I wouldn't go back for any GA job now, let alone an average one. That said, if I already had a rockstar GA job - some Fortune 100 company with a large flight department and multiple crews per airframe - I probably wouldn't leave there to start at the bottom at an airline either.

But as BoilerUP said in another thread - that kind of job is a very hard nut to crack, and when you're a middling 135 guy trying to get there, but not knowing when or if it'll happen, you start to peek over the fence a little bit. I went off to a national carrier, and once I got a taste of having time off that was mine (not "keep your phone on in case you need to scramble to find a contract guy to cover you" kind of off), it was really hard to look back. A few years later, the QOL trajectory at my national job started to spook me, and I made what's hopefully my last jump to Airways. I'll let you know if any of these decisions were worth a crap once I retire.

The fractionals were always interesting to me. Home basing and the genuine time off were alluring, but I didn't have competitive mins back when I got my first 135 gig, and by the time I did, everyone was furloughing. I have one buddy flying left seat of a 550 for NJI, and he's trying to get out and do the 121 thing, which surprises me. I think he's just tired of sitting around FBOs all day, but to start over seems like a big move.
Thank you!