View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Wollac
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: B-52 IP / Delta Poolie

Originally Posted by Mavesteve View Post
Any thoughts/recommendation for a 17 yr TERA escapee who only has 950 TPIC (mostly T-38 IP and T-6 IP/EP time) and 2350 TT (w/800 hrs B-52 SIC)? I've done my CFI/CFII (about to get my MEI) and will start teaching locally just to stay flying while hoping for a timely call from the majors. I figure building PIC time (even if non-turbine) might be worth it in the short term before going regional in 6-9 months. Or is it smarter to go now and accept the sub-1000 PIC time and keep building turbine/multi-eng time instead? Darn you 5-yrs of non-flying queep assignments! I've got some Chief OGV and DO experience but is it enough to compensate for the relatively low hours? Appreciate the insights.
What is your recency of flying like? Are you leaving from a staff job now or from a flying gig? That is probably more important than your hours. Quite frankly, while you are on the lower edge of some other military "retirees", you're not out of the realm of "hire-able" by a major (if you are current). If you haven't looked at the "Who's Been Hired" thread, it's chock full of military guys getting calls with hours in the 2000-3000 range. There are even some fighter guys getting called in the 1800+ range. The OGV and DO experience will definitely help. If your apps are not in, they need to be, like yesterday. To answer your other question, if you don't get called, go regional. I think the airlines would value heavy jet SIC more than they would bug-smasher PIC.