View Single Post
Old 02-12-2006, 04:56 PM
ThreeGreens
Done

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Default No Sey

I left a very lucrative career in healthcare; no weekends and only worked 12 days a month albeit I worked 13 hour shifts it was only 12 days a month. I really enjoy flying; but you have to have a stepping stone in order to get where you want to go and a "regional airline" is a great start and for some a great finish. It has it's drawbacks of course but then again every job does. The first year salary is criminal; I mean 550$ (at my carrier) every two weeks is just insane. I just have to keep in mind that it is temporary and it is a stepping stone. If you are able to land a job where you live then that to me is a huge plus; I am sure many other 121 pilots would agree. Commuting for the most part is benign but it has it's days where you sit for awhile waiting to get a ride back to your home or domicile. Regional jets fill up so fast that it is sometimes difficult to get home; jump seating helps but isn't always guaranteed! I do not have a family but I hear from some of my fellow pilots that it puts a strain on their marriages and family life. I guess that stems from just not being around enough (while on reserve for the the first 4-5 months; maybe longer or shorter) to help with everyday life. They seem to have made it work but it took some sacrifice and understanding. As far as the flying; the CRJ is fun! Yea, its not a large Boeing/airbus product but it is pretty sophisticated and fun to fly! There are many other facets to this but I can only offer what I know which isnt much. I fly for a large regional and yes it has its ups and downs but for the most part I have no regrets. You've been flying long enough that you know what you have gotten yourself into. Good Luck