View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 12:32 PM
A320
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2010
Position: 787 Capt.

Originally Posted by Probe View Post
I am not sure of the details of Comair, but in the case of the 570, they accepted the job with the intent of crossing the picket line. They were not in the pipeline for United jobs before the strike.

ALPA talked them out of actually flying a jet, but they interviewed and accepted the job with that intent.

I guess, for them, I would have to change my analogy.

29 years ago they started to sleep with their best friends wife. In the middle of the act, a mutual friend caught them, and talked him into stopping before "finishing".

Does that mean he didn't sleep with his best friends' wife?
Not exactly. They were "pre-hired" to start active employment under the "new contract" They were hired during the previous year prior to the actual strike. The company didn't tell them that "We are having a strike next year, will you accept the job of a strike breaker?" The scenario evolved into a full afterburner path into a strike. That is for sure. To refer to them as Scabs or Scab Wannabies is absolutely a lie just like referring to pilots who pickup open time when the contract clearly allows for it as scabs.

That being said, there are some 570 that think they are heroes. I wouldn't call going on strike heroic. It is what is expected. They certainly do not deserve any implication of being scab like.