View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 06:41 AM
DAL 88 Driver
At home on the maddog!

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: ATL MD-88A

Originally Posted by hoserpilot View Post
Fwiw I do agree with you. I'd love for our union to say what you've preached for years. It just gets old seeing people on here belittle one another. I still can't believe the immature writing I see from our fellow pilots written in the bathroom stalls in Atlanta. I thought I hired on at the big D with a bunch of professionals who were above that childish behavior. I guess when we can act like professionals we just might get paid like them again. Instead we fight amongst ourselves.

Dear Dalpa,

Please just says this. "The pilots at Delta have waited long enough. It's time to restore what was taken from us in bankruptcy. Delta is enormously profitable, in part due to the sacrifices we made. It's beyond time that we get a return on that investment. Our pledge to you, the Delta pilot, is to obtain a contract that returns our compensation, plus inflation, to its rightful place. A cadillac every month."

Hoser
(I'll take a Porsche every two months)

Ps. It's called a moose knuckle and that was from one big moose!!
Good post, Hoser! I also agree with you about the childish stuff. The only thing I would change about your post is the reference to "a Cadillac every month." Even I don't expect to get back to the kind of standard of living those guys had in the 70's. Post deregulation, that's just probably not realistic. I think the 80's, 90's, and early 2000's settled in at a pretty fair and correct level of compensation for what we do. And THAT is what I think we should be striving to restore.

Mathematically, if we did it with just pay rate increases, we're talking approximately a 50% increase from our current rates. I'm certainly open to finding other ways... maybe a combination of pay rate increases, work rules, possibly changing the WAY we get paid (i.e. get paid at sign in and then continuously throughout the duty day, like every other hourly worker on the face of the earth). But bottom line for me is that the W2 needs to increase by about 50% without having to work a bunch extra to do it. I don't think that would be to the level of "a Cadillac a month" but it would put us back to a very nice standard of living that was well established post deregulation for over 20 years.