View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 01:13 PM
EdGrimley
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014

American loves beacons and wearables almost as much as bacon - Runway GirlRunway Girl

Might be useful technology as long as it doesn't get abused. Begs the question whether the Windows RT tablets will have tracking capability to see where pilots are at, at all times?

“A beacon allows me as a customer to find my way through the airport. A beacon shows me exactly where I am in the airport and it gives me information about things to do around me. A lot of customers go straight to the gate because they’re nervous; they don’t know if they have enough time. Now with beacon technology and a mobile app, I can tell you where you need to be, if you’re at the right gate or the wrong gate, and the services around you.”

"...He adds that wearables are a “great new technology” for airline employees, who can now get better and faster access to data to provide better customer service. “A lot of times employees are tied up with keyboards and screens and now glasses and watches [wearables] can give them data in real time and they can act on it and give better customer service.”

Arming crew members with connected wearables in-flight is on the radar for a number of industry stakeholders. SITA is already working on a project to provide Google Glass to crew, and connecting them with inflight connectivity supplied by SITA unit, OnAir."

In related news...

Microsoft's most boneheaded product is about to be killed off - Jul. 23, 2014

"Microsoft is about to take the ax to one of the stupidest products it ever created.

Windows RT was supposed to usher in the tablet era for Microsoft. But Windows RT has two fatal flaws: it's missing crucial apps, and it's poorly designed. Unsurprisingly, the stripped-down operating system failed to take off. (Actually, that's an understatement: Microsoft took a $900 million writedown last year because of awful Surface RT sales, the only mainstream tablet than ran Windows RT.)"