View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Bucking Bar
Can't abide NAI

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler

Originally Posted by EdGrimley View Post
Might be useful technology as long as it doesn't get abused. Begs the question whether the Windows RT tablets will have tracking capability to see where pilots are at, at all times?
In a word, no.

The RT tablet at best only has a vague idea where it is at, depending on where the router it is connected to thinks it is at. You could use a VPN to completely disguise your location, which could be handy for the international guys who like to stream Netflix and Youtube to places where that is not otherwise possible.

VPNs: What They Do, How They Work, and Why You're Dumb for Not Using One

ALPA has already negotiated protections which would cover abuses by the Company (not that I believe the Company has any agenda other than to get the thing to work, eventually).

As luck would have it, Microsoft is probably going to roll out a new version of Windows RT in September, ... wait, uhm, did what Delta just re-write work with the new version? Would they want us to turn off auto updates? What about the security and stability enhancements?

After buying a Surface Pro 2 & type cover ($1,135 out the door for $356 by stacking Staples coupons on clearance computers) I am very impressed by the form factor and capabilities. For content consumption something like an iPAD 5 or Air (or Android tablet even) would have been cheaper and that is all we need. But, the Surface line (even the RT) is a more capable device.

There is nothing wrong with RT even. It is just an odd duck and nobody much writes for it. I've been using apps from the Window store and I find that I'm just not reaching for any of my other computers or tablets any more.

As for "wearables" they are likely to become popular with the release of the Motorolla 360 next month. For $250 it is a nice looking watch:

Last edited by Bucking Bar; 08-21-2014 at 02:31 PM.