View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 03:48 PM
illini90
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: 737 CA

Originally Posted by Ferd149 View Post
May wanna ask some Minnesota boys about claiming to live somewhere vs where they really lived
Don't know if they got jail time (no memory anymore) but I think the ones in Hennipan County got tagged with a felony.

I've always been talked out of claiming commuter hotels. I was told its a grey area. It wouldn't flag an audit but I would probably lose it in an audit if I got tagged for something else. The CPA who told me that did lots of pilots when I lived in Dallas.

Ferd
Thanks for the input! I'm not trying to claim a state I don't live in to save on taxes, I am just curious on the IRS definition of a Tax Home, as stated in their regs. If it's where I live, then I can deduct commuting. If it's ATL, then I can't. Unfortunately, you can read it either way, so I was hoping somebody had some experience with it. You can call the IRS, but I don't think you can email them. I suppose that's so they can't be held to one advisor's interpretation of the rule. It would be nice to actually have something chiseled in stone (or email) from them.