View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Bilsch
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: FAA ATSI VSRP ERC

Originally Posted by MidwestXLguy View Post
I have a contact on the inside who tells 'goal is for you to start on new pay period 9/7 or 21, prior to new fiscal year'. I think it is moving forward, just waiting on 'word'.

If they offer 9/7, is there any issue with me asking for 9/21? Do I lose anything, other than two weeks pay?
I'm a different LOB also.

Get sworn in ASAP. You never know what kind of incident can happen to trigger a hold or freeze. I know of a case where someone did not make the on-board date last year due to putting it off. Due to a strange set of circumstances, they then went beyond the freeze date due to sequestration. The referral list was terminated and the name went back in the pot. By the time the availability to hire came around, more qualified people in the pool, etc.

I know this is a remote possibility, but why take a chance on the last job you may ever need to accept!

Never put off a start date. Get sworn in, then work out leave with the new boss. Most of us are very accommodating to new hires w/r/t leave to get settled, as we all had to go through the same thing.

As for cell phone, those that need one get issued cell phones through the FAA NWP (National Wireless Program). You can choose a device from a limited number of what are mostly obsolete models. You can also choose the carrier (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint). Some managers qualify for blackberry or iPad. The large carriers also give government discounts on yr personal service. I get 20% (I think) on Verizon.

Our only medical is the drug/alcohol/hearing testing...that is on the house.

Last edited by Bilsch; 08-23-2014 at 10:50 AM.