View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 04:40 AM
Sooner91
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Future Flyer

To add on to that ATP will be more expensive then that with the required items and the checkride fees, but I'm sure USAA doesn't include checkride fees either. Personally between the two (I looked at both) ATP is what I'm in now. Partially because USAA was really sketchy with the information they were giving out (I don't think they have a lot of domestic students). Also at the time ATP was only 64,995 and I liked that half the training is in the multi. I know it comes up in 2 days so you don't have much time to make a decision, but if you register before September 1st then you would be able to do it for the $64,995 instead of 5k more.

As far as life goes and time to breath and what not, they do say that you'll need 8 hours a day (sometimes more). But also as long as you keep your instructor informed of what's going on, you could have them slow down slightly. A few weeks ago I was doing about 2 flights a day, then for the weekend we didn't fly at all so I could get caught up on the knowledge portion of everything. You'll learn a lot of it by feel and what not, but as far as ATP goes it is also accelerated.

I've personally have enjoyed my time at ATP and feel the training is top notch. Some days also if you need a break, you may just fly and then take the rest of the day for yourself. For example yesterday morning I flew and was done by noon, then took the rest of the day to relax and give my brain a rest.

I don't know much about other flight schools and what not as I made my decision to go to ATP fairly quickly. A lot of people will complain about the pilot mill type programs and they have their reasons, but so far (still working on my private) I've enjoyed my time at ATP. One other thing I forgot to mention is ATP offers a guaranteed instructor job to build hours to the magical 1500, but also pretty much any other flight school is hiring right now. Good luck on your search!