View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 05:20 PM
gdpballin
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: C-172

Originally Posted by worksweekdays View Post
I mentioned this in an earlier post. Once you get your CFI cert ATP may hire you back as a CFI. You will be sitting in Jacksonville, FL in their call center until a spot opens up at one of their training centers. That could be two weeks or two months, anyone's guess. Once a spot does open up at a training center, you'll be sent there whether you want to or not. You may live in Chicago but guess what, a spot just opened in California so that's where you'll be going.

One of the biggest dangers that I've seen from this is that guys are forced to fly in a state that they've never flown in before. As a brand new CFI, you don't want to be learning new airspace and a new airport while you are trying to instruct for the first time.

ATP has housing at all of their locations and it's glamorous. You'll get to live in a nasty little apartment with a bunch of other instructors, it's basically a crash pad. If you don't like instructing at ATP, or if you get fired because you made a little mistake and they need to get some guys out of the call center, good luck getting hired at another flight school. There definitely are some flight schools out there who will NOT hire you once they see you went to ATP. I'm not saying that no one will hire you, but some flight schools will not.

What's wrong with flying in a different part of the country? It sharpens your skills as a pilot flying in different ares, instead of one area and becoming complacent.