View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Baja
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Default Sept. 2 message from FDX ALPA

I have never met John Cardaci but he seems like a nice fellow that truly feels compelled to make the lives of FDX pilots better. I think this is likely true of many that work on our behalf at FDX ALPA. In my opinion, that isn't enough when going head to head with FDX management.

In the Sept. 2 message, John said: "Management elected to follow their tried and true method of old school negotiations; unrealistic proposals offered in a delay prone process." I'll fight back the quips that beg to be said. I will say that this is at the core of what I perceive as "the problem". The MEC leaders thought that this time things would be different if only they would play nice - that management would play nice back. To be blunt, that was naive. The leaders seem shocked at management's behavior. There was no history to imply management would act any different this time. None. Still, the leaders took their course of action and frankly, a lot of pilots liked the "feel good" this approach brought.

This same message referenced the new billboard signs in a statement: "PRETTY MUCH SAYS IT ALL". The message does NOT say it all. The message I get is that we hope to make mention of how time has passed in negotiations without also offending anyone in management or our neighbor in Germantown.

Those in service to the line pilots have good intentions but they are not up to the challenge we now face. Unless they CLEARLY change their tactics or these reps are replaced with those that will, the pilots need to brace for difficult times ahead.