View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 02:41 PM
JerrySpringer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: 747RJ

Originally Posted by 744driver View Post
Guys, I am not so sure why this is any different than a guy that jumpseats to work for a Regional or a Major airline...commuting days do not count in your commitment to the company. (Of course, there are several airlines like Omni, Southern, etc that are "home-based" where the minute you leave home, you are on Day 1 vs like at Atlas we may be on Day 0).

I get that it may even be two days before an assignment, but that is a choice in some cases of where you live and where you are based. Being a new guy of course complicates it because you don't have the seniority to hold a closer base, but for most guys that have been here even a year or so, Day 0 commutes are self-induced by way of base selection, and your Gateway Airport location.
You don't get it because you haven't done it.

When, in a previous life, I was commuting the only requirement was to show up rested by check in. Which I did religiously.

Here, since they buy you a ticket they FORCE you to rest (even longer than if they DH you in the middle of a trip), which could necessitate leaving the house a full day earlier than you would if you were jumpseating. So, in essence, they are controlling your off days and hours you need to arrive in your base prior.

This is a job. I show up to make them money. They own all of my time for the contacted work period. My side of the deal is I get paid and time off.

And people wonder why there's a mob with pitchforks and torches.