Thread: Day sleeping
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 07:02 PM
MaxThrustPower
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Default More on Melatonin Use

Originally Posted by busdriver12 View Post
... there is very little that you wrote that contradicts with what I said. I do not dispute much of what you quoted.
I'm glad we agree! But ... that confuses me, as you specifically replied to me saying you were throwing out the B.S. flag on a portion of my original posting.

... ... conflicting advice given by your sources, in particular--dosage ... 0.3-1mg ... up to 20mg and 40mg, respectively. A big difference there.
Exactly my point! My point is that dosage *IS* a key element, but even after many years and many different studies, there is still controversy over what a safe, appropriate dosage should be. If you would have taken time to visit the Mayo Clinic link, it mentioned about **60** different medical conditions which Melatonin has been tested as part of a treatment regimen!!! There is no mention of taking 20 to 40 mg for routine sleep disorders. My point was that the dosage is still somewhat of a mystery to even the scientific and medical community, and the consumer is left to sort all this out based on the dosage a manufacturer specifies and whatever advice he can glean from his physician or personal research.

However, from what I know about typical suggested dosage on Melatonin supplements, most of them suggest a higher dosage than the MIT study and other sources recommend -- the 0.3 mg to 1 mg range.

Consequently, the advice I was attempting to convey for anyone who had no experience with Melatonin was to be very careful and err on the low end of the dosage suggestions rather than the high end.

... Dr Oz and Huffington Post (such reliable sources) ...
Very cheap shot.

And extremely hypocritical, since you have been giving out all sorts of information without referencing ONE SINGLE REPUTABLE source, unless perhaps you have failed to tell us about your own personal scientific and medical training and subsequent research studies.

Even mainstream sources of information such as Dr. Oz can be reputable, since they will normally repeat the prevailing medical wisdom about a particular subject. However, I did send a link to the MIT study as well as the Mayo Clinic and National Sleep Foundation, which I believe to all be much more "reputable sources".

Of course you never take it when you have to fly soon, you need enough time to sleep.
Agreed. Thanks for that clarification.