View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 03:29 AM
aviatorhi
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Window Seat

Originally Posted by lstorm2003 View Post
I agree 100% on those NDBs... I also saved all my old 8-track tapes too.. never know when that fancy iPod might die on me lol.. I also think it's really cool how the ADF needle goes crazy & becomes useless near any kind of electrical interference or storm...

You know what the celestial navigation old timers used to say to these young kids with their fancy new direction finders right? Exactly.

Folks.. GPS.. WAAS. LAAS. RAIM. This technology is here now and the truth is it is very reliable.

Having said all that my students still learn cross country navigation via Pilotage and Dead Reckoning. But once you are proficient, no reason not to fly with the GPS if you choose to.
Yeah until you get to an airport that ONLY has a NDB/DME... But you don't need that ancient stuff do ya?

Or when the DME is on MEL and the FO can't figure out what a "crossing radial" is.

Relying on easy mode all the time because it's always there is not necessarily a recipe for disaster, but it is a recipe for bad airmanship.