Thread: Spirit of NKS
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 11:09 AM
ManFlex
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: A320 Left

Originally Posted by A320Flyer View Post
Incorrect. Lame excuse. We're not talking about the Strike Preparedness Committee Fund, or funds dedicated to negotiations, attorneys, etc. (mostly supported by ALPA National). That should clearly be kept in-house. By the way, when it comes to ALPA money, the company knows exactly how much money is being deducted from every single pilot and being funneled to the union. THEY also have all the ALPA trip drop information and cost (they authorize it!!). We're talking here about day-to-day operating budget. How much did it cost to set up quarterly meetings at the venues. How much is dedicated to send reps to ALPA conventions, on a yearly or quarterly basis, etc. This is no big super top-secret thing that the company cares about. But us, dues-payers do.
You see, at my previous carrier, we could see the budget. So much for the Membership Committee (to take new hires out and dine). So much for Safety Committee projects. So much for the HIMS Committee. Expenses incurred for meetings, etc. What's the big deal? Here, we have no access to basic financial information. Wrong on all levels. That's as real as it gets...
So what do you hope to gain with access to this information? Are you the arbiter on how much to spend on each of those various line items you list? I don't care if this information is released or not. I think the vast majority of pilots feel this way. And I feel badly for our leadership: don't release all of this banal financial data and they cry 'transparency!' Release it and you guys will latch on to some tidbit and cry 'waste or abuse!'