Old 05-28-2007, 04:42 PM
mike734
New boss = Old boss

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Ca B737
Default The problem with inexperienced, young pilots

In theory you can crew an aircraft with an experienced Captain and a very new FO. It was done that way for years. Sure there were plenty of accidents but todays aircraft and flying environment are much safer. Airlines like KLM have 500 hour FOs flying in 747s. So why won't it work for Mesa and others like that?

The answer is longevity. Since Meas and those types are not career airlines the FOs will be "trained" by relatively low time Captains. Senior captains will move on rapidly and create upgrade opportunities too soon for fresh FOs. Also, since the upgrade time is minimal the FOs will not get enough experience in the right seat to be good mentors for new hire FOs that replace them. The cycle will continue until there are a series of tragic accidents cause by crew error by young inexperienced, (ambitious) crews.

I think guys like JO have not thought this through. They believe there is a never ending supply of 500 hour wonders willing to work for peanuts until they can upgrade. I don't believe this will continue in the near future. Majors will be in a better position to hire very young FOs because of the lengthy upgrade time. Mesas and the smaller airlines like them will be forced to raise pay and working conditions to retain good mentors or be faced with dangerous crews.

I'm just thinking out loud. That's what occurred to me today.