Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 11:03 AM
own nav
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Blanket statements are exactly what is wrong with this forum. APC is all about pilots helping pilots. On this forum you have a small, persistent and very vocal group of guys who are bent on the idea that the best advice is to avoid the place altogether.

If you had a bad experience as a junior guy, at a junior base, flying small equipment, I don't doubt what you're saying, and you're free to vent. Former pilots can be a little more open about negatives than current pilots,
and the negatives are very well represented on this forum. On the other hand it kinda peeves me when those who say positive things are labeled "cheerleader" or "koolaid drinker," or given a "red flag" for being happy to have been here for so long.

Seriously, there are many different routes you can take within AMF, and I can't emphasize enough that every base is different. Just think for a moment, if this forum were less about the go/no go decision, and more about where to go to get what you want out of the AMF experience....

There are a bunch of guys who have managed to make life livable for several years at the company and I think there are a few key factors.

If you're based in your home town (or a place you'd like to make your home town) flying a plane you like, laying over in places you enjoy (or in a position where you rarely do layovers), getting along with management and maintenance, enjoy getting holidays and weekends off.... As you gain seniority, your schedule, pay, etc. get better. You will most likely still have career goals outside of AMF, you just get more picky about where you'll go.