View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 12:51 PM
exwaterski
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by inline five View Post
No, it was not easy to get a job back in the early 2000's.

I graduated in 2003, pretty much no one was hiring, even flight schools.

I was lucky to land a CFI gig after moving 1000 miles. The chief flight instructor had a class date at ExpressJet on 9/11/01. Needless to say, he was still instructing/flying charter years later.

New hires back then were basically like they were now - lots had 135 experience, heck even Republic/Chautauqua wouldn't even look at you unless you had night freight time. I applied there multiple times with folks walking my resume in and no dice. Everyone I know hired there was either former Airnet, Ram Air, Ameriflight, or Flight Express.

Now, late 2004 to 2008, yes it was easy to get a job. Lots of scope relief from the legacies meant lots of new jets coming on property. Pretty much the glory years. 2008 financial crisis and age 65 but a big fat stop to that.
That is accurate. There was a brief hiring spurt around 2000/2001 right before 9/11 and again in the mid 2000s. They were brief rays of sunshine in an otherwise horrible decade. Anyone pining for the good ol' days right after 9/11 obviously wasn't there during those dark years. Some guys are frustrated because they have to have an ATP now but once you've got it you can have your pick of regionals to work for. Not to get in to a "back in my day" sermon but in those days you took whatever 121 job you could get even if it was on the other side of the country. There was no picking and choosing and comparison shopping which regional to work for like there is now. It was a completely different environment and I don't think most of the pilots under 30 really understand how good they have it. What I wouldn't give to be a fresh 25 year old ATP again in this job market.