Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 09:44 PM
skypilot35
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: It's hot out here.

Originally Posted by jamesah2008 View Post
Okay so I know there are better places to ask for suggestions than here but I was curious to know what this pessimistic group of pilots has to say about a regional job.

I've got a reserve job flying helos down in Houston. I am very near minimums to meet the military R-ATP reqs. I guess I still have SJS because I'm looking at what I might do if I go to an airline. Here is my question...

If you were a pilot with minimums now, which airline would you go to? If you needed to be based in Houston, which airline would you aim for?

I'm almost disgusted with the idea that I would go work for a regional airline but at this point, I'm feeling like I'm willing to take a plunge and see for myself why every single one of you hate it.

I sincerely hate that the whipsaw always works and puts regional pilot groups against one another but the reality is I need a job and I want to avoid being a 10 year F/O. I've pretty much decided that if I don't make CA within about 5 years, I'll likely be going to pursue ExPat work or completely change careers.

All of these airlines suck from what I can tell... the real question is, what should a young guy like me do? I see a lot of envoy pilots hating PSA and it does seem seedy that PSA is proudly proclaiming their quick upgrades on their hiring website but what the hell should I do if I want to work at an airline. It seems that the reality is that working for Compass, PSA, or Mesa is something I should consider. I thought about XJT but it doesn't seem like they're doing too hot lately either with their everlasting divide between Legacy XJT and ASA. Not to mention that they've stopped hiring.

I'll be needing a job around March. I realize a lot can change but any input is appreciated. I'm young, single, and don't want kids.
Make sure you tell them how disgusted you are with the idea of working at a regional IF you get an interview. My suggestion is lose your ego, I have flown with many fellow military guys who have far more time than you and don't seem to be disgusted. My .02