Thread: USAF vs. ERAU
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 06:37 PM
FREEFALL_Pilot

FuelJetA,

Thanks for the compliment. I've had this reply stewing in my brain since last night when I stumbled on this thread.

//Break//Break//

Slice,

I have seen both numbers published. Although none of them are official, I was on your side when I saw them both. $10Mil seemed a bit steep, but after the quick explanation on where those numbers were drawn upon, it seems possible. Here's what they were considering (many of them are very fuzzy, and can be argued):

Fixed cost (and overhead):
1. Cost of all buildings, dorms, their depreciation, and all maintenance required for them
2. Basewide civilian labor manning the different squadrons (as the Air Force has shifted to more of a civilian manned force)
3. Simulators, their maintenance, Boeing/LSI instructor force
4. Pubs, flight suits, other assorted crap you never use
5. Crew chiefs and other personnel involved in launching all the jets
6. The cost to screen you (IFT program), and medically qualify you
7. Lifesupport equipment (G-Suits, helmets, parachutes, visors, etc.)
8. Required or desired airframe upgrades (T-38C for example)

Variable costs:
1. The atrocious amount of JP8 we gulp in one flight hour
2. Maintenance on all those old planes
3. Tires, oil, hyd. fluid, etcs.
4. Cross country travel expenses
5. Runway, huffer, taxiway maintenance

I'm sure there were more they listed, but this is a quick rundown of what I can remember. Looks to me to be well over $1mil if you include the fuzzy expenses in addition to the obvious ones (JP8, maintenance, etc.).

FREEFALL_Pilot

By the way, I've heard rumors of lots of people only getting the 8 year commitment, as I have. I was *supposed* to have a 10 year, but lo-and-behold, look at my MPF file, and it only has me owing 8 years active. Many of my classmates have the same....