View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 06:48 PM
NotPart91
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2014

Originally Posted by NotPart91 View Post
In some parts of the U.S. Firearms are not frowned upon and are treated as an common implements or tools of the trade.

Btw, there is a "criminal element" that exploits GA. So I wouldn't be against being prepared.

I see no problem carrying a loaded firearm while flying, as GA is considered a "soft target."

It would be nice to see GA pilots attend an amended FFDO type course in order to get familiar with FISA areas and related laws.

Back on topic;

Here's the AOPA answer;

Transporting Firearms in General Aviation Aircraft - AOPA

Here's the Cliff Notes version;

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/flyi...rms-guns-ammo/
Correction; I mistakenly typed FISA and meant SIDA on my original post.

The AOPA's opinion is supportive of carriage of firearms in GA with the caveat of following any state/local rules.

There are two recent landmark case, although not involving aviation, are related to the legal possession of firearms.

1) District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008) and;
2) McDonald v. City of Chicago, 561 U.S. ___, ___, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3050 (2010)

I believe that pilots need to view this topic the same as transporting your firearm from your home, via private conveyance, to your temporary destination and back to home. The same general rules apply, and if followed, no violation will occur.

If you follow the rules, (.e.g. avoid SIDA areas, FAA facilities and airport police stations etc) IMHO you'll have no problems.

Another option not mentioned by the AOPA is a pre-flight call to the police having jurisdiction at your fuel stops or destination. This will, 99% of the time, prevent any issues. Make a note of your telephonic contact, (time/whom/what agency).

For the posts related to threats to safety and crimes at GA airports;

There have been and currently are on going activity of major, international and intrastate crimes occurring at GA airports.

There also have been instances of non-aviation criminal operations being run out of a GA hanger and most pilots are oblivious to this type of activities.

The criminal element has realized that you can't get stopped by the police @ 10,000ft per se, thus the risk of apprehension is very low.

Just another view and perspective.

Carry on.