View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 07:49 AM
SilverLake
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2013
Position: West Coast to East Coast

Originally Posted by MiG21 View Post
I hope this helps those going into an interview succeed where I failed
I interviewed and was not offered the job, but I was able to get a little feedback from a friend of a friend of a friend. So it turns out I somehow got one of the highest sim and Hogan scores (yeah, Hogan is not simply pass/fail. Apparently there is conclusions drawn from the actual answers selected, and the sim I can only credit to the invaluable prep I did the day prior) but failed the sit down hr part. In a nutshell the reason was one of being too casual, in both body language and conversational style. Do not sit back and cross your legs when speaking (this applies to the panel I had. Other people might expect different things) and don't speak as though you are on equal ground. They will try to make you feel comfortable, but don't get too comfortable because that is what bit me in the ass. Only way I can sum it up is to maybe pretend like you are being audited or ramp checked. I am not a good actor and i fell into the role that I do in the flight deck that seems to disarm others in order to foster good CRM. My reason was one of being too casual, in both body language and conversational style. Do not sit back and cross your legs when speaking (this applies to the panel I had. Other people might expect different things) and don't speak as though you are on equal ground. They will try to make you feel comfortable, but don't get too comfortable because that is what bit me in the ass. Only way I can sum it up is to maybe pretend like you are being audited or ramp checked. I am not a good actor and i fell into the role that I do in the flight deck that seems to disarm others in order to foster good CRM. My assumption is that a pilot would want to hire another pilot who they could get along with on a trip (let the sim part speak for their flying abilities) and so acting stiff and formal didn't compute for me like it should have. Other than that little surprise, everything else was as gouged. Place and people are great. As long as you don't go into the panel trying to make friends you will do better than I.....oh and don't say the word "crap" when describing what a certain thunderstorm was able to kick out of you. Lesson learned.
Wow! My exact down fall as well.