View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 11:48 PM
Flying Elvis
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2013
Position: Utah Chapter

Originally Posted by darkman62 View Post
I was NOT a pilot but got my time & ratings outside the military will this be held against me? If my time is good and everything else being equal will this be a non starter at DL? I was pretty abused by the pilots so they could get there "heavy time" i.e. PT's at 4am after a 8 hr mission just to gain another few hours to pad there logbook. So do they have the "oh you never actually flew" in the military attitude? Just wondering
Thanks for any feedback
Not sure you'll get any "'oh you never actually flew' in the military attitude," whatever that is. Everyone I've met in DAL hiring office and admin is very appreciative of mil service.

Not sure about what you mean by "PTs" - do you mean "pattern transition" after/before a sortie to fill the roster of AF-required "beans" (normal/emergency approaches/landings) in the heavy/bomber world? As a guy who started his flying life as a nav, I feel your pain. Worse were the ERCCs (Engine Running Crew Changes), when we'd fly a mission, do 1.5-2hrs of transition, land, drop off the pilots and D, fill their [3rd person plural possessive] seats with an IP and 2 more pilots, then take off and do another 2+ hrs of crash and dash.

If that's what you're talking about, I'm not sure what you mean about "abused by pilots…so they could get there [sic] 'heavy time'… just to pad there [sic again] logbook." Do mean that you felt your fellow Airmen were intentionally abusing you and using taxpayer flight time and JP for their personal gain, and you never brought that to the attention of your command structure to rectify that breach of integrity?

Bottom line - if you've got the quals they're looking for, you'll get the call. I don't think anyone is going to hold how you got them against you. BTW, DALPA's slide that rolls in the crew rooms says it's roughly a 60-40 civ/mil split in 2014 hiring.