Old 09-30-2014, 09:40 AM
bedrock
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: ERJ, CA

Originally Posted by Freyyr View Post
bedrock, So, you think that I have nothing to do in the USA? Simply, I always imagined America as something very beautiful, bright. Country of dreams, if I may say so ..
I am going to try not to make this response too political.

Don't believe the Hollywood image of the US, it is as fake as their perfect teeth and big breasts!

The US is in terrible economic shape. I do know some russians doing well here, but not in aviation--mostly in import/export and black market activities.

The US aviation industry is profoundly ill. The airlines have managed to make a 2 level system. One level is regional airlines, the other is the major. Of course, there are in betweeners like JetBlue, Virgin, etc.

The major airlines have created an evil plan, whereby they pay regional pilots much less, while promising young guys like you that ONE DAY, they will make a lot of money at the major airlines.

They are constantly demanding paycuts and threatening to fire everyone if they don't get them. So far, this method has been working, though three big regional have called the bluff.

The young regional pilots don't need high pay, don't have families, and don't mind poor living conditions since they have just come from other low paying jobs such as flight instructor, freight pilot, etc.

If you do lose your job at a regional airline (or major airline), you must go back to square one. That is, your new job will be at the bottom level again at some other regional airline, unless you can get a GOOD corporate job.---difficult, unless you know someone.

The result of all this, is that regional pilots are taking cuts in pay and benefits in order to keep their jobs long enough to get to a better job at the major airlines. As they do this, the major airlines keep outsourcing jobs, to the regionals, because they are cheaper...and the amount of jobs at the majors shrinks.

Finally, did you know a major airline flight attendant is probably making more than a 4 year first officer at a regional airline?

I don't want to discourage you from your dream of becoming a pilot, but I must ask: Is your real dream to be a pilot or US citizen? I say this, because many in this country have gotten fed up with our job market and left to fly in China or elsewhere.

Last edited by bedrock; 09-30-2014 at 10:05 AM.