View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 05:08 PM
PRS Guitars
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: A320 CA

I joined at age 28 with a wife and first child on the way. Best thing I ever did (other than marrying said wife and having my kids).

I wouldn't worry about what your parents think. This is about your immediate family now.

If you are waiting until after you get your degree, then do NOT enlist. Apply to OTS/OCS. You have to use an officer ascension recruiter (if you go to the wrong recruiter, they will try to get you to enlist, and will tell you that it's the only way in...they are lying). If you truly don't care what job you do, you'll very likely get picked up as an officer candidate. You will have a much more comfortable life as an officer (just google military pay rates and you'll see).

If you do try for pilot (AF anyway). You will first apply for OTS with a pilot slot. they will then either hire you as a pilot candidate or offer you another job or not hire you at all. If hired as a pilot, they will send you to an AF base for a physical. This physical will be much more stringent than the standard MEPS physical that someone else mentioned. You will take the color blind test and if you fail, you can retake or take another job or walk away. Most bases are going to a new computer test and it is difficult. I've never had a problem with the book test, but had to pause a few times during this new test. If you pass that, you'll have a basic MEPS physical, go to OTS and then go to Brooks for a battery of personality and IQ tests (used for data purposes only) a heart scan, and more intensive eye exams. The latter two categories can DQ you from being a pilot. If that happens you will be reassigned another job and incur a 4 year commitment.