View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 10:45 AM
lear700pilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014
Position: right, left, right.....

Originally Posted by Olario View Post
Civilian here. On my interview day there were 5 mil and 3 civ. 2/3 civ had masters.
Of course if you dont have a Masters is not a disqualifier by any means, but all things being equal and you have a Masters, your chances are greatly improved.
BS GPA 3.6
MBA GPA 3.8
In my case, I got the MBA because I have 3 kids and could not bear the thought that I had no back up plan if I ever loose my medical, got fired, etc PLUS I knew that people with Masters degree are usually in a better position to get an invite for an interview at the Majors. It was expensive and a lot more work than I expected (Im not the brightest of the bunch) but worth it.
Its frustating for those that have not gotten the invite yet. You know you are a great guy/gal, a safe pilot, clean record, plenty of TT, TPIC, etc. There are literally thousands out there. They will call you.
My MBA does NOT make me a better pilot or person. Its an extra box that I checked on my app. Delta seems to like that box right now. Things will change as hiring moves forward. Its strictly a supply and demand game.
I have being applying at Delta specifically since 2007. Finished my MBA in 2011. Upgraded to Captain in Jan/2014. Attended Women in Aviation job fair early this year. Got the invite July 3.
I dont know what triggered my invite. I had to wait 7 years, but meanwhile I kept trying to check as many boxes that I could to improve my chances. I really wanted to work at Delta. I start Indoc in a couple of weeks. Feel extremely lucky.
Thanks for posting this information Olario. Very encouraging to see guys like you getting the job. I don't have a masters, but am in a similar boat on length of time applying etc.

I'm glad to see guys like your insight and also gratefulness to get the job. DL is where I have wanted to work from the young age as a child. When I get it I will be extremely grateful as well.

Best wishes!