View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 08:22 PM
hockeypilot44
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by SenecaII View Post
Per diem IS income. You wouldn't count it if you had to use it towards hotel rooms, but those are provided at all airlines I know of. You have a food budget at home with a normal 9 to 5 job, and you can keep a food budget on the road also. I personally can carry 4 prepared meals complete with salads and drinks on a four day trip. It doesn't cost any more to prepare it at home than if you live and eat it at home. Finally any per diem you earn above the daily amount the government allows pre tax you have to pay tax on it if you don't provide receipts for it. No matter how you slice it per diem is income, it's up to you how much of it you BLOW on the road eating big expensive meals or finding a way to entertain yourself. And I can attest it is very easy to Credit over 100 hours a month (with current staffing issues) on reserve and 85-90 as a line holder with 14-15 days off. I typically fly 4 four days a month. That said we still need/deserve better contracts/pay/QOL language at all regional airlines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Per diem is not income. The only people who consider it income are those that are paid near the poverty line and embarrased about how little they make. That would be you. You add per diem to your salary so it looks a little more respectable. I am not bashing you. I am bashing your emoyer for paying you so little. Stop defending your low income.