Thread: Comair updates?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 07:49 AM
gojo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2010

Originally Posted by CRJ900Series View Post
Comair was a great regional to work for. I spent 26 years there, 24 as a Captain. Despite the derision of some of the mainline guys, I had no desire to go to one of them. That would have meant commuting, or moving, neither of which was desirable. I enjoyed living at home, 5 minutes from the airport, getting the trips I wanted, and was making a 6-figure income. Of course, lots of that changed the last few years, as Comair management sought to encourage the senior guys to move on by messing with pay, trips and benefits, even relocating airplane bases.

As far as finding another flying job, I could have, but that would have meant, again, moving or commuting, and starting over at the bottom for less than McDonald's wages at some other regional. Corporate flying jobs were the same, and always on an iffy basis, subject to the whims of bean-counters. Some of the best and biggest corporate flight departments have disappeared over the years. And I don't want my life tied to a pager. Been there, done that.

What's left, charter operations? Basically the same as corporate jobs, always on call. I've been a flight instructor also, no money in that, very little flight training going on around here as it costs a small fortune now for prospective pilots to get their ratings.

So, for me, flying was no longer a viable option. I looked for employment in other businesses. The only people hiring, it seems, are in the medical profession, and I would need a degree in that field just to get in on the ground level. Now I am officially retired at age 62.
Don't know you, but I hope you're happy with your retirement. I would've done the same thing. I'm 54 and hope to retire at 60. I WILL not start over again at this age. Delta has destroyed this industry. I say Delta because everyone else copies them.