Old 10-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Wheelsoff
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013
Default Trying to figure out the best option, help!

I'm currently flying a heavy, in my first assignment out of UPT. My eventual goal in life is to fly civilian (hopefully part 121) once I'm finished with active duty, and would like to do the guard/reserve gig on the side.

I'm faced with a dilemma however, as there may be an outside chance that I can switch airframes and fly a bomber; a plane I've wanted in UPT since day one. I realize however that I'd be sacrificing flight time if I were to make the transition. Additionally, I'm also thinking about the prospect of flying the T-6 next as an instructor.

I know the best option would be for me to stay put where I'm at in terms of racking up hours, but the prospect of doing more tactical flying or getting to do lots of formation flying again is so tempting. The AMC life is decent, the pay good (compared to other AF jets) but the long 24 hour days with min crew rests are not quite as appealing as the potential alternatives in my case...Do airlines look down upon single engine turboprop time, even though it would be logged as instructor time?

Anybody ever heard of a guy flying a particular aircraft, switching to something completely different, then going back to fly their original aircraft in the guard/reserves?

Thanks for any honest feedback!