View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Hrkdrivr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: Fairly local

Originally Posted by C130 View Post
Just a heads up - a lot of what passes as "gouge" out there is very outdated, with incorrect answers, and not on the Delta knowledge test. There are also a lot of questions in the question bank that have not made it to the gouge. In other words, if you studied nothing but gouge questions, like most of us did, you would probably only recognize about about 1/3 of the questions on the test. The rest you would have to use brainpower for, which hopefully all of your studying prepared you for.

Second, in talking to several folks who took the test, and reading the recent trip reports, to my knowledge there are no fix-to-fix questions or questions about calculating the distance between lat/long coordinates.
You're correct, lots of incorrect answers in the gouge, but the question TYPES are pretty much spot-on. If you know the basics behind the questions, you'll be able to figure out the correct answers.

I interviewed/hired early this year, and I had both the lat/long question (almost due north, which you detailed well), and the fix-to-fix (draw it out quickly and the answer is pretty obvious). I had no math more complicated than simple 3:1 descents.

The most noise from a jet engine is from the speed of the exhaust. At least that's what they told us in my undergrad degree (aero/propulsion).