Thread: MD11 vs. B777
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 06:28 AM
JetJocF14
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: B-777 Captain

After flying the MD-11 for eight years I think it's a fantastic machine. However you have to realize and treat it like its a though breed racing house. I've been on a hourse a couple of times but if you gave me a racing hourse and said take a couple of laps around the track I would be out of my league. So too with the MD-11. I treet it like I'm coming aboard an aircraft carrier. There is little room for error. You must be on centerline. You must not have any drift on landing. Once you make your flare you must understand that power now controls the glide slope and nose controls the airspeed. IE naval carrier aviation. Woo to the pilot that flares the airplane and feels a sink and pulls the nose up more to land. It takes a pilot to manage the MD-11.

The triple seven is a piece of cake. If you can land a cessna 182, you can land a 777. With a two hundred foot wingspan, when you hit minimums your already in ground effect. Our crosswind limitation is 38 knots without being in a wing down top rudder situation . In fact if you do choose to land it that way the crosswind limitation get clipped down to 32 knots. Literally when you you get to 20 feet on the radar altimeter all you need to do is to change the pitch of the aircraft one and a half degrees nose up and let it land.

Both aircraft are good machines. I still say put the FMS of the MD-11 into the 777 and you would have a dynamite airplane. JMHO.