View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 03:29 PM
CBreezy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by 2StgTurbine View Post
I have worked at companies that have the PF set the altitude pre-selector when the AP is on, and I have worked at companies that have the PM set the altitude pre-selector when the AP is on. I personally have a preference and I am trying to get my current company to change, but I before I waste too much energy on it, I wanted to see where others in the industry stand.

Personally, I prefer the PF to set the altitude pre-selector since that person is controlling the rest of the flight guidance control panel. It is still important for both pilots to verify and agree on the altitude assignment, but I think it is awkward when two pilots are effectively flying the plane.

So please chime in and tell me what who sets the altitude pre-selector at the company you work for and what your preference is.
I think it's good CRM and keeps both pilots actively involved in flying the airplane to have the PM set the ALT. That person isn't flying the airplane unless the airplane is beginning to level off. The knob doesn't control any flight characteristics of flying the airplane.

The argument I would make is, if the autopilot is engaged and you feel that the PF should make all changes regarding flight, shouldn't you also be lobbying to set flaps and gear?