View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Technologies like boundary layer control are actually better in my view than conventional aerodynamic technologies on the whole. When I studied this years ago I came away with the view they should be implemented in not only military transport designs as they are occasionally now (C-17), but also in commercial airliner applications for all transport aircraft. In fighters it does not make as much sense because those aircraft tend to consider per mile operational costs beneath other objectives. The question is, can the reliability level be increased enough for blown tails and wings to be implemented on commercial transport aircraft(?). Dual engine failures are almost unheard of, although we do see an occasional event over enormous operating hours. We need to define a statistical occurrence which is acceptable, and if the number is achievable, then we can switch to blown lifting surfaces and reap an enormous bounty in fuel savings, shorter runways, and increased useful loading for any aircraft that use it. Boundary layer technology is the holy grail of aerodynamics and as supporting technologies progress, we should be able to meet the reliability goal. I am glad research is still going on in this area.