View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 02:20 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by breakfall35 View Post
Wrong. Generally, helos are the preferred slot for Coast Guard students at P-Cola. I had many an advanced FW student in Corpus that was not there because that was their choice. They were voluntold to go fixed. Granted, with demise of the Falcon, it's now just Hercs, Casa, and from what I understand, now C-27, so it's gonna be a prop. But you're flying a ton, and doing the mission daily. I retired with over 5K hours. I can't tell you how many times I heard at our joint service squadron "I wish I'd known about the CG back in college". Inter service transfer paperwork was constantly being submitted.

If you are in college and reading this, now you can't use that excuse. You're welcome.
What is the route to the guaranteed aviation slot in the USCG?

Also - I'm not quite sure I follow the first part of your post.
What is 2loud "Wrong." about?

If a student is dead set on flying fixed wing - - and the USAF has the lowest selection rate for helos out of any other service - - then it would seem a safe bet that going to the USAF would give you the highest chance of being selected for a fixed wing assignment.

What does the rest of your post, with your experience of USCG students being forced into fixed wing slots instead of helo slots, have to do with a person who is dead set on flying fixed wing? They should go into the USCG because they are more likely to selected for (or forced into) fixed wing slots out of the USCG?

As far as inter-service transfers - I hear ya! I wish I had done the job I wanted to do earlier in my career and I would have been asking for one myself. USCG aviation rocks in my opinion