View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 07:59 PM
ScuzzySurfer
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2014
Position: Bar Stool

Originally Posted by De La Ghetto View Post
Greetings,

I'm a current college student considering a commission as a pilot in the Marines/Navy in a strike platform. I understand that that at least 60% of the Marines fly helos. With the new F-35 program in the works, what are the chances of getting a slot to fly this platform if I commission in 2015-2016? Also, how competitive is it to get into a fix-wing pipeline during primary flight training? Do most students want to fly helos (I guess that depends), but generally speaking, what else can be done to ensure fix wing during training?

Also, what IF someone were to end of with helos... How difficult would it be to take a tour as a t-34 IP? Is a transfer into a fix wing airframe common? (as you can see I don't want to fly helos.) Please pardon my ignorance.
Here's a slightly different viewpoint. I started out as a helo pilot and did an helo IP tour. BTW, some of the most fun I've had in an aircraft....low levels, NVD and SAR flights in the middle of the Pacific, and of course, hauling around NFL/USO cheerleaders around the strike group. I got picked up for a DC-9's after a joint staff gig. In the squadron, a bunch of other helo (USN/USA/USCG) guys that made the switch after a tour as T-34 IP's. It's pretty competitive these days to get the Primary IP gig (as it is for most cool jobs). So, it's all possible and just depends on a little luck, who ya know, where ya are in the career track, and a lot of hard work. Step 1: get picked up for a commission. Without that...everything else is just a conversation on APC. Good luck!