Old 10-31-2014, 03:35 PM
Flying Boxes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Angry Mgts Hubris manipulation will lead to UNITY!

Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
Flying Boxes,

Despite disagreements on the who, what, when, where, and, most importantly, WHY, of bridges we crossed 6+ years ago, I think we are in complete agreement on what we need to do TODAY.

We DO need to move forward in unity. While we need to understand the mistakes of the past and learn from them, we don't need to keep refighting those battles. It's that attitude that frustrates me the most, and often brings out the sarcasm that you perceive as condescending. I apologize for coming across that way -- it's certainly not my intent.

I think it's clear that Mike is interested in tapping the best talent available, regardless of whose "administration" they served in. Our current MEC Chairman was part of the Webb "administration" as the R&I committee chairman, our Secretary Treasurer was a Block Rep who signed the letter supporting "retroactivity" for our over-60 pilots on the seniority list ... there are plenty of people who have served under both administrations. Frankly, I think the use of the word Administration in this context is misleading. It's not like we have a President and a staff that works for him. WE, the membership, elect the Block Reps, and the MEC Chairman and committees work for the MEC.

So, let's encourage the best and brightest to volunteer for jobs where their talents can accrue to our best benefit, and stop rejecting people based simply on who the MEC Chairman was when they have volunteered before. What's best FOR TODAY and THE FUTURE is what should matter the most, not what we disliked about the past.

I had a long week with only my phone to post, so I feel this post is long overdue. I also like your idea about using Sick Bank money to fund a Health Care VEBA for retirees. I have other ideas about how to use those funds, but your ideas are certainly worth exploring. I'd like to have the ability to announce retirement in advance in exchange for a lump sum payment from those accounts. The more advance notice you give, the larger portion you get. After all, it's compensation we've already earned, and it's on The Company's balance sheet as a liability, why shouldn't we get it? The Company abhors uncertainty, so let's give them an intangible in exchange for cash we've already earned. They can plan the training pipeline, and we can add to our checking account.
Tony,
It's never too late to do the right thing. (I hate the feeling that phrase brings out in me now). The true path to building a consensus the whole union can support begins with understanding other's perspective. I was trying to give perspective on the effects of the last contract on unity in hopes that we, FDX ALPA, considers the long term effect of negotiating a contract has instead of just focusing on the short term gain. This career is a marathon. Strong unity comes from benefitting all without any who lose.

Apology accepted, I hope you did not feel I was attacking you as a person. You often provide informative and thought provoking posts. I appreciate that you share your knowledge on many subjects germane to our collective lives. I could go without the spin and political bashing of the current administration during contract talks.

My hope is that as the union moves forward, it allows all members to progress in QOL and $. I do not believe in the pie theory that for my piece to become bigger, I must take from someone else's piece!

As for Mike, everyone in his block needs to make their own decision. Mike should not be judged by the decisions of a group, but perhaps he should provide more detail on what his thoughts were versus the MEC that he was a part of instead of generic political babble. As I don't think my opinion is just a small minority.