Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Nevets
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: EMB 145 CPT

Originally Posted by rcfd13 View Post
Funded by who? 2% of every Skywest pilots paycheck is peanuts compared to 2% of a major airline pilots paycheck. Everyone points to the fact American did it but what do you think their average salary is compared to ours? 2% of my paycheck wouldn't even come close to the 401k match that an AA pilot gets from the company.

If you know how to create a few million dollars per year out of thin air from a bunch of regional FOs who can barely afford food and car payments then lets vote in our own Skywest Inc union! You can be president since you know everything.

And that's the other excuse. But to answer your question, let's say that dues would be 2%. APC says you have 3,360 pilots. If we assume an average of $50,000 of income per pilot, then the annual dues revenue would be $3,360,000. Or you could charge $100/mo for captains and $50/mo for FOs and still come up with over $3M. You could do it a variety of ways and it would be a good chunk of change to start with in order to negotiate a real contract. Hell, if you were to go independent, it might be the start of a regional pilots association. I know I would be the first to get behind you guys and vote out ALPA for your union! Also, whatever you pay in dues is tax deductible. Anyway, food for thought.