Thread: Mesa
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 04:53 AM
wt932051
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: Airbus FO

Originally Posted by flapshalfspeed View Post
On an unrelated note, I hope existing CRJ CAs remember that the 36-month equipment lock applies, per contract, even if you downgrade to FO in an attempt to go EJet CA.

I know a few newly-upgraded IAD CAs who seem to think they can just downgrade to IAD FO when CLT closes (to stay in base), then turn around and bid EJet CA immediately--that "back door" won't work, b/c the 36-month CA equipment lock applies even if you downgrade. Buyer beware.
I disagree with this, but not saying you are wrong. It is a unique situation however. I have not know anyone in this particular situation before. Normally when we displace it was going to be a long time before you upgraded again anyway. However, how I feel is if you get downgraded with a displacement, you can rebid any captain position whenever and whatever your seniority can hold. There is nothing in the contract specific to this situation however. What you are suggesting is that the company is forcing the FO to remain CRJ FO until he has the seniority to hold CRJ Captain again (under the previous equipment lock applied to his upgrade) which could be years if we have no growth on the CRJ or wait out his previous 3 year lock which was not his fault a displacement happened to screw him over. This does not sound like something that they would do. Once an FO, I don't see how they could stop you from bidding E-Jet. Your not a CRJ captain anymore so how is the CRJ Captain seat lock valid after displaced back to FO? It was not his/her fault that a displacement happened. Enforcing a Captain training lock on a displaced/downgraded FO does not make sense. Heck the FO could argue that they should get pay protected then since junior FO's would be getting upgrades to higher paying equipment. This would definitely be a grievance. This is why we need more language in our contract. I went from the Dash 8 Captain (no equipment lock) to a displacement into the ERJ Captain seat and could have bid CRJ CA the moment I passed upgrade, because I had no equipment locks created since it was all under a displacement. Displacements are beyond your control. Thats why I don't agree with you on this. I am not saying you are wrong however. It is a unique situation that was beyond the control of the person under displacement and this situation has not happened like this before at Mesa. So you can't say for sure they would be stuck as an FO because of the previous seat lock and not able to bid the E-jet...

Last edited by wt932051; 11-09-2014 at 05:24 AM.