View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 07:39 AM
USAF77
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Well sa a 30 year + LEO and an aviation enthusiast I might have an opinion here. Also Im a USAF vet and have known a fair amount of pilots. However I make no claim to knowing what its actually like being a Pilot. Im just a ground pounder who loves airplanes. I currently have enough seniority to have found a spot on an airport detail at a major INTL airport.

But im sure there a wide variance in Pilot and flight crew jobs. From the types of airframes you fly to the pay, to the hours, to the quality of co-workers....ect The same can be said of Law Enforcement. I do know that technology and bureaucracy and politics cuts much into the fun of flying. Which is why I hear from so many big wide body pilots that they buy small one engine "fun planes" to get the rush again. Much of the same has cut into, what was, the fun of Law Enforcement.

I'd rather be a small town or county sheriff who goes home at the end of the day feeling like he has helped someone rather then a big city beat cop who is now dealing with a 3rd or 4th gen gangsta from a family Ive been locking up my entire career. From experience I'd avoid these big city agencys like Chicago, LA, NY, Baltimore, Cinci....ect You might end up going out and taking fire for a community that hopes you got hit, and reported on by a media that never has a good thing to say about police cause "good things "dont sell" newspapers.

Also the current trend is to chip away at benefits and pay even to the point where pensions are at risk cause the thieves we elect cant help themselves from also thieving from Police and Fire pensions. Medical bennies are being cut and ALL bennies are being bargained away for new hires in many agencies. So it may not be as rosy a picture as you might think.

Do your home work for sure. Ive actually worked with more then a couple POs who got out of the flight game for LE work. Good luck with whatever you decide.