View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 06:45 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by cardiomd View Post
Cost, reliability, failure modes (e.g. if somebody begins to "depend" on the sensor, and it gets stuck, etc), decreased efficiency, tendency to break off or poke you on the walkaround, and many others that I can't think of right now are all good reasons.
That argument doesn't hold any more water than saying that any instrument isn't worth the cost then. Failure modes? That is why you cross check - just like with many other instruments. Do you have data to show that many of the simple AoA systems now available on the marker are NOT reliable?

I agree, if somebody is going to stall/spin then they probably should not be flying. It would just be one more gauge to ignore while yanking back on the yoke.
DANG! I've stalled and even gone out of control a few times at least and you've decided that I shouldn't be flying. Harsh.
Guess what helped me recover during some of those OCF moments.
Sounds like that person needs more training. At least with a AoA gauge that person might just pull enough instead of too much.

Care to tell us how much experience you have flying with reference to an AoA instrument? If you are trained to it - it doesn't take much experience to learn how to incorporate it effectively. I mean you're good enough on the G1000 after 1 hr - I can't imagine a single gauge would be too overwhelming.