View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Yoda2
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2013

JNB, I get what you're saying for the most part; though if they are in the realms you speak of or are not flying the typical/standard profiles, they better know how to fly an airplane if venturing into those zones. Generally speaking, I don't think, a measurable portion... of newer pilots are satisfactorily familiar with those areas or really knowing their envelope, Etc. I could be wrong but it seemed the FAA started emphasizing LOC not long after the proliferation of TAA... If an instructor has roughly X amount of time to train a primary student and the TAA takes somewhat longer than a traditional 6 Pack, something has got to give. I think where it is giving is in the basic flying skills department. I think the FAA should increase the Min for Private Pilot by 10 Hrs. I know guys that have ferried jet airliners on some real raw data, less than a typical ferry kit. They got where they were going, because someone took the time to teach them to fly... If you want, probably, the best and most accurate summation of the state of basic flying skills; talk to the folks who specialize in tail wheel or seaplane ratings...

Last edited by Yoda2; 11-15-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: additional