Thread: Pilot career
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 03:22 PM
XtremeF150
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: M88B
Default Other options

Hey guys, I might be crazy but just because your 22 or 25 doesn't mean that you need to be flying a jet and 400 to 700 hours is hardly enough time to make you a safe pilot in anything with more than 200 HP and thats not my opinion (only) its the insurance companies too. I'm not saying if you get the chance you shouldn't take it, but how about trying some of those interesting jobs you hear about. being a CFI would be one of the most helpful experiences that you will ever go through. The last time I checked you don't come out of medical school and start cutting on people. Doctors have to put in a residency and pilots do too. Remember how many lives are at stake while your sitting up front having fun. There are other jobs you can do at the same time as instructing including but not limited too CAP, fire patrol, banner towing, ferry flights, test flights (Sometimes in Jets with cessna or lear), sightseeing (These are in nice places usually), highway patrol, and medivac etc...
The real moral here is I know you think you put your time in and deserve to be flying a jet, but there are many more options that taken might allow you more choices in 12 - 24 months. This will also probably be the most interesting flying you will EVER do. I know I can not preach enough about it now because your too pumped over flying that crj or whatever but I can't tell you how many people that fly jets sit up there at 35K+ and think about what fun they use to have at the jobs they began flying. These are somewhat the college years that everyone looks back on, so enjoy them. Trust me if you got a job in 747 tommorrow it wouldn't take long to start questioning what do i do next. Most pilots are always looking for the next seat or aircraft like its a military rank or something, so tell me whats your hurry to the top. You are young and should enjoy accumulating the various stories that will be told around the terminal over the next 35 to 40 years. (Thats along time to sit in that jet) This reminds me somewhat of a poem written by Robert Frost called the road not taken. Look it up.

xtremeF150
P.S. oh and so you dont think im some old captain thats angry with his job, im actually only 26 have 3300TT / 1300 Turb PIC and have yet to log one hour of 121 or 135 flight time, but i've had fun.