Pakagecheck
trip trading freak

Joined APC: Oct 2010
Position: MD-11

Originally Posted by pinseeker View Post
Are you even reading the contract? Based on his assessment the DO can either;
a. revises the pairing so that you don't exceed the operational extension or,
b. releases you to a legal rest.

The only time you are removed from the trip and placed in a sick status is after receiving a legal rest, you decide you need more rest. So after a minimum of 8 hours off you decide you are still to tired to operate, then you are removed from the remainder of the trip and the remaining hours of your trip are charged to your sick bank. Yes, that part does sound like fatigue, but that happens only after you are given a legal rest and you still can't go.

It's not semantics, it's what the contract says. I have done this and was NOT placed in sick. I was simply released to rest at the hotel.
I am reading the contract... are you reading all of it? Your (b) isn't as simple as "releases you to a legal rest period". Here, let me post the entire paragraph.

(b) The pilot may be given a legal rest period. In this case, the pilot’s schedule thereafter may be postponed until after the legal rest period is concluded. Should it be determined that the pilot requires more rest than the legal rest provided, the pilot may be removed from the balance of his trip and be placed in sick leave status. If the pilot is placed in sick leave status the pilot shall be automatically returned from sick leave at the conclusion of his trip.

See the "should it be determined" part? That isn't after you have rested or solely your determination.

You actually didn't do it, the DO allowed you to do it. It says MAY. He or she was (if you look at my previous post) being reasonable.... but they didn't have to.

"I would release you and give you legal rest but in my opinion from what you have told me, that will not be sufficient, so I am going to place you in sick status until the conclusion of the trip".

Trust me, I don't like this any more than you, but unfortunately it is what we have. I am glad that you were fortunate to have someone reasonable, but during the upcoming silly season, I would not count on it. Things are going to get crazy! A multitude of revisions, extensions and substitutions.

Everyone studies the de-ice procedures for the bad wx,but have never cracked the CBA. I HIGHLY recommend that everyone study it and discuss it with crew members on layovers, crashpad roommates, and contract admin to be ready at 4 am to make an educated decision on some important issues. So many of our crew members, sit back and say "feed me" the info. Trust me, the schedulers will take advantage of this. It's not their fault. They just want meat in the seat. It's our fault for being to F'n lazy to read one of our most important manuals. And, with all that said, check your duty time on every trip you fly, and if you think you may have gone over by even one minute, submit a pay log for it.

Pakage