View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 04:44 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by cardiomd View Post
Oooh-kay.

Perhaps if one wants to pull out on the verge of an accelerated stall, but airspeed + G meter would be more tight on the scan plus looking outside.
Wouldn't an AOA gauge help in an actual low altitude stall/spin scenario where pulling out on the verge of an accelerated stall may be the only option to avoid the rocks? ("on the verge" being the operative phrase)

Originally Posted by cardiomd View Post
I still don't see exactly how you will think it is used on a routine GA flight, or how you estimate the advantages outweigh the costs of install that others have pointed out. The last thing a pilot needs is another gauge that sits there in the green arc, as rickair and I pointed out, I already know I'm within the envelope.
It seems unlikely that it would NEED to be used on a routine GA flight. Perhaps the pilot may prefer to fly AOA or combine it with IAS in his cross-check, once he became familiar.

In the training environment, it's likely that it wouldn't just "sit there in the green arc". Don't you think it would be a great training aid to provide new pilots a better understanding of the whole concept? (especially an accelerated stall)