View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 04:31 AM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by FDXLAG View Post
You win we are all idiots and bow to your superior knowledge about airmanship and training.
Aw, somebody needs a hug!

No one is saying make it mandatory
Some pilots still wish they had it in all planes they fly. I'm trying to understand why they feel that way.

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
I can tell you though that I wish I had an AoA gauge in every aircraft I fly - and if I owned (especially at today's costs) it would be one of the first things I'd have in my plane - - sort of like that tornado shelter I put in my house!
they are saying it is a very useful instrument and can help train ham fists to recognize when the wing is operating efficiently and when it is not.
If somebody feels like they need it, sure. However, rather than trying to retrofit the 1980's trainers that most people still learn to fly on, studying a diagram and understanding the concepts of AOA, wing loading, relation to speeds, etc would likely yield better results.

http://turbineair.com/wp-content/upl...speed-2013.pdf

I don't care, if any of you want to spend the money and put in an AOA gauge in your plane go right ahead. I'm just trying to have a civil discussion to make sure that you and I are making good decisions.

When operating a high performance aircraft on the edge of its performance envelope you do not look at the AOA indicator. You do however spend time before that training to know what the aircraft feels like at particular AOA settings.
Sure, of course. We all did that. That is why every checkout on a plane I've done has include lots of slow flight and stalls. Gotta learn how that wing talks to you as the airflow goes turbulent.

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Turns are accelerations.
I'm simply saying that understanding the relation of AOA, wing loading, turning, and G forces is essential. A descending high bank power-off short approach can be at low AOA and yet a relatively sharp / quick turn with lots of lift reserve. Similarly the turn that that Russian pilot attempted at high pitch, low speed, high AOA, resulted in a spin.

Would AOA gauge be a useful addition for training? Sure. Understanding AOA can be accomplished without this and these are pretty fundamental concepts.