View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 09:24 AM
gloopy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: window seat

Originally Posted by flyallnite View Post
To add on to what you said, I've found that the paperwork and planning associated with managing an ever changing HSA account is not worth the time or effort. And I've had a few years where unplanned medical expenses made me wish I'd had the DPMP. It seems with the other plans, I'm always paying more than I expected, for everything, including dental. Yes the premiums are a bite out of your paycheck, but I don't have to give my biometric information to anyone, and I don't have to keep records, receipts, account ledgers or submit expenses to anyone. I just go and they pay. Done. And I sleep better knowing that if anything happens, I can go see whomever I choose, and it's covered.
That's what I'm trying to figure out as well. I like the idea of my tax free money going in and I keep it, but do they hassle you with "deny deny deny fill it out in triplicate deny deny deny oh so close but deny deny deny, ok we'll pay" like the bogus flex spending nazis do? Or are HSA's different/better in that regard?

I was close to getting the DPMP but went with an HSA. What I *think* the out of pocket maximum would be is one thing, but you hear horror stories about out of network Tylenols and people get billion dollar bills when they thought they were in network, etc. For the HSA's we have, max out of pocket is the absolute max no matter what, in or out of network, right?